pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Pan 0.139 very slow with long threads... appeared with t

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Pan 0.139 very slow with long threads... appeared with the new version
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2016 00:58:01 +0000 (UTC)

Dave posted on Sun, 02 Oct 2016 11:04:05 +0000 as excerpted:

>> I use Pan 0.139 on Ubuntu 16.04 LTE.
>> Since I upgraded to version 0.139, I observed very long response times
>> when a thread contains many posts. Pan uses 100% cpu for tens of
>> seconds before the selected posts appears. In previous versions, there
>> was almost no delay.
>>
>> I trimmed my Score file, with no result.
>> Am I the only one with this problem?
>>

> No issues here with Pan 0.140

Also no issues here -- live-git pan (will be 0.141, git commit is in the
headers as I'm posting with pan, I've not updated in ~1 month, tho).

As the others have suggested:

* How many posts is many posts?

* 0.139 is indeed old, and may be bugging out if built with a newer gcc
or against newer libs.

Further comments of my own:

* Pan builds a threading tree at startup.  The larger your message cache
and/or the longer you keep overviews/headers b4 expiring (I'm actually
not sure which), the longer startup will take, especially on spinning
rust (not ssd).  However, as a result of that it shouldn't take long to
switch groups or for new messages to load, even in long threads, because
it's all in memory already.  (FWIW this is also one reason pan uses so
much memory if you're loading very active binary groups.)

So something else is happening if it's taking tens of seconds for a post
to appear.

* You might try setting the expand all threads when entering group option
if it's not set (preferences, behavior tab, under groups), then select a
bunch of messages and hit the cache article function (articles menu).
That will download them to cache all at once.  (In binary groups you
won't be able to do too many unless you've increased your article cache
size beyond the default 10 MB, or it'll start deleting them again when it
reaches that.  Cache size is set in prefs, behavior tab, under article
cache.)

Then try clicking on the already downloaded to local cache messages.
Does it still take a long time to display the message when it's already
cached?

* If the messages display right away when they're already cached, it's
probably a network or server problem as they're displaying fine when
they're local.

* If the messages still take a long time to display when they're already
cached locally, it's a pan display problem, possibly a bug in pan, or
possibly a problem due to building it with a newer gcc or against newer
libs.