pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Pan downloads few images at at time

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Pan downloads few images at at time
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2017 01:55:16 +0000 (UTC)

Hendrik Boom posted on Mon, 27 Feb 2017 19:28:00 +0000 as excerpted:

> Pan seems to download only three images at a time.  If I want to
> download, say, imgges from a series of say 30 articles, I highlight
> them,
> request download, and it downloads three of them.  I can highlight
> again,
> and get the next three.
>
> I'm not asking for concurrency -- I'm asking it not to stop at three.
> I'd be happy with just one at a time, even slower, even with pauses
> between downloads, as long as it keeps plugging away and doesn't give
> up.
>
> It used to work a while ago.
>
> Has this been fixed long ago and I just have an obsolete Pan?  Or is it
> just misconfigured?
>
> I'm using Pan 0.139 on Devuan linux (Jessie).

Well, your pan is old (you can see from my headers what live-git-pan was
as of... February 6, when I last checked for updates), but what you are
describing hasn't /ever/ been pan normal behavior, that I know of (with a
decade and a half of pan experience, from the old gnome-1-based version
back in 2001/2002), so there's something else going on.

Is anything showing up in the log (the status icon to the bottom right
should be clickable)?  What NSP (new-service-provider)?  Maybe they have
some cap on data or time limit per download/connection?

Note that it could be the libraries pan is built against as well.  Is
that pan built against gtk2 or gtk3?  I know the recommendation has been
to build against gtk2, as that's what most of those (like me) building
pan themselves and distro maintainers in the know do, so it gets the most
testing, and at least at one point there were some pretty strange bugs
reported against pan when built against gtk3, that simply disappeared
when it was built against gtk2.  Additionally, there are known problems
with pan running against certain gmime versions.

Finally, there have been a number of patches fairly recently that keep
pan working correctly when built with a quite recent gcc, due to g++ now
defaulting to newer standards.  Without those patches pan will misbehave
when built with newer gcc unless specific build options are used, but
I'd /guess/ that if you're running a distro with that old a pan, it's
running a fairly old gcc as well, and that shouldn't be an issue.

Meanwhile, if you're running pan with nntps connections, you _definitely_
want to update, as there was a bug in pan's certificate handling back
then, such that it didn't store certificates properly.  As a result, you
either had to manually accept it each time, or check the option to have
pan always accept it regardless of whether it had changed or not, which
of course means it'd be reasonably trivial to MitM (man-in-the-middle)
attack those connections as the MitM cert would be accepted
automatically.  Of course if you're running only plain-text nntp
connections anyway (which you will be automatically if pan wasn't built
with secure-connection support in the first place, something that debian
was choosing to omit in their build due to now cured lgpl2/lgpl3
licensing issues for awhile, but one would hope they're enabling it now
that those are fixed), that's not an issue you need to worry about as
anyone in the middle can read anything they care to look at regardless.