pan-users

[Pan-users] [bug report] Pan crashes when closed during online work

From: Mateusz Viste
Subject: [Pan-users] [bug report] Pan crashes when closed during online work
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2017 08:42:53 +0000 (UTC)

This is a bug report. I'm sorry if this is not the right channel for such
things - in such case let me know what I should do instead.

The bug is about Pan 0.141 consistently crashing with a segfault:

  $ pan
  Segmentation fault (core dumped)

This happens when I close Pan while it is trying (and unable) to fetch
headers and/or articles. First time it happened I was clueless, and spent
a week trying to reinstall Pan from various packages, and even
recompiling it from sources (I thought the problem was caused by a buggy
Pan update). Then, I looked into its strace output and noticed that the
crash happens not so long after Pan accesses its ~/.pan2/tasks.nzb file.
On a hunch, I deleted this file, and Pan got fixed. Since then I know
what to do in such situations (which happens every now and then), but
still - it's a pretty nasty bug that may scare users away.

If needed, I can provide the strace file I logged, as well as the
problematic (corrupted?) tasks.nzb file.

Mateusz