pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Pan is pinning my cpus

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Pan is pinning my cpus
Date: Sat, 7 Oct 2017 08:57:05 +0000 (UTC)

Ruben Safir posted on Sat, 07 Oct 2017 02:54:11 -0400 as excerpted:

> On 10/07/2017 02:52 AM, Ruben Safir wrote:
>> I've been using pan for well over 15 years and suddenly it has been
>> pinning the cpu.  This is from the Arch package.
>>
>> There is a lot of strangness going on with this program of late.
>>
>> Any clue what is happening?
>>
> address@hidden ~]$ pan -v Pan 0.142

Several mostly build-time things to check:

1) Try adding this to your CXXFLAGS: -D_GLIBCXX_USE_CXX11_ABI=0

That was necessary at one point recently due to an upgraded toolchain.  I
think it's patched now (live-git pan, tho whether it made it into 0.142 I
don't know), but I never removed the flag to double-check, so I'm still
building with it.

2) Try toggling gtk-build-against between gtk2 and gtk3.  For quite some
time gtk2 has been recommended, but there have been some patches to fix
gtk3 builds recently, and there's a gkr (gnome-keyring) related bug for
those building with it, that seems to only appear when built against gtk2,
so try against gtk3 if you haven't.

3) Try toggling various options, like building the gkr support, secure-
connections support, etc.  IIRC there was a bug reported when pan wasn't
built with secure connection support.

4) Of course you can try building latest git as well, and see if that
makes a difference.

5) Less recently, but there have been various library issues reported
over the years too.  Of course toggling deps and gtk2/gtk3 should cover
some of the libs, but not all of them.