pan-users

[Pan-users] Top posting Was: Kill file

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Top posting Was: Kill file
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2018 06:43:18 +0000 (UTC)

arnuld posted on Wed, 29 Aug 2018 11:51:47 +0530 as excerpted:

>> On Wed, Aug 29, 2018 at 11:45 AM Duncan
>> <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Please post in standard quote/reply-in-context format.
>
> Oh Sorry, it was what gmail does, always reply as top posting.  This was
> my 2nd mistake as top-posted reply, first one was in 2006 in comp.lang.c

Heh, I used to use MSOE, which was (in)famous for encouraging top-posting
as well.

While I'm not familiar with the gmail UI, what I found with the MSOE UI
is that while the cursor was indeed placed at the top, once I
consistently bottom-posted that simply let me read the post I was
replying to as I moved down to reply.  It's been over a decade and a half
ago now (I left MS and upgraded to privacy-respecting Linux instead of
eXPrivacy, when it came out in IIRC 2001, as I could see where they were
headed), but IIRC I had to switch to inserting the signature manually (on
push of the sig button), so I could put it after my reply instead of
before the quote, but other than that, it wasn't /too/ difficult, because
as I said I just read down the quote and replied point under quoted
point, deleting quoted points I wasn't replying to if the post was long
enough to warrant it, down the quote until I reached the bottom.

These days I'm sure I probably frustrate people in support, etc, where
the instructions say to retain the entire conversation in replies, which
I then do, when I end up replying at the bottom of what might be several
levels of quote, with their replies at the top and mine in context at the
bottom or possibly interleaved with the quote.  But what else can you do,
other than manually edit to quote/reply format, which I do sometimes as
well, depending on whether I'm in the mood and have the patience for it?