pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Top posting Was: Kill file

From: arnuld
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Top posting Was: Kill file
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2018 16:15:23 +0530

> On Wed, Aug 29, 2018 at 12:22 PM Duncan <address@hidden> wrote:
> ..SNIP...

> ago now (I left MS and upgraded to privacy-respecting Linux instead of
> eXPrivacy, when it came out in IIRC 2001, as I could see where they were
> headed), but IIRC I had to switch to inserting the signature manually (on
> push of the sig button), so I could put it after my reply instead of
> before the quote, but other than that, it wasn't /too/ difficult, because

I too switched to Linux from Windows. It was back in 2005-06 when
Fedora used to be known as Red hat Linux. I found it too difficult in
the beginning, could not listen to a song, watch a video etc.

> These days I'm sure I probably frustrate people in support, etc, where
> the instructions say to retain the entire conversation in replies, which

haha... I had those experiences too and in one or two cases, a HR guy
even called me up to ask me that why I sent him his email back, that
he was expecting a reply. Then I realized, he just looked at the top
of the email, first few lines (quoted ones) and did not look my reply
beyond that.

One of my colleagues, who was a Software Engineer from half a decade,
asked me how do I know about C language so much. I pointed him to
comp.lang.c where he asked a question and then he expected an answer
with solution as C code which he did not get. He got guidance towards
solution from different users there (one of them was student of Dennis
Ritchie who created C language) and my colleague got furious reading
their replies. He could not get the fact that no one spoonfeeds on
USENET, that it is a place where people mentor,  where they do not
provide solutions like teachers provide to homework in school. From my
point of view, it was a great reply they gave, it was pretty clear
that they gave full-attention to his question. From that day he
started having hard-corner for me in everyday communication :) . It
was quite unfortunate to see the same things happened with all the
people I know, all the colleagues I ever met in different companies,
all of them hated comp.lang.c/c++/ruby etc.

You know I learned all of C language, all of my programming on USENET
through Pan. If a  Linux distro does not have Pan in its
packaging-system  and it can't build Pan from source then I will just
replace it with some other Linux distro :o) . Even though now in the
age of web 2.0, comp.object is dead, comp.lang.c (and c++).moderated
are dead from last few years and everyone has moved to Stackexchange
and other forums.  I always loved Pan and will never forget those
times.  Long Live Pan ...

--
http://uttre.wordpress.com/
https://lispmachine.wordpress.com/2012/06/28/c-new-operator/