pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Pan sometimes complains about a missing server in profil

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Pan sometimes complains about a missing server in profile...
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2018 08:19:28 +0000 (UTC)

Ervin Peters posted on Mon, 27 Aug 2018 10:51:39 +0200 as excerpted:

> ...but after open, save and close the profile (without any changes)
> everything works fine.
>

> PAN 0.142 He slipped to Sam a double gin (01b5bf4 git.gnome.org/pan2;
> x86_64-pc-linux-gnu)
>
> on gentoo linux ...
>

> Also sometimes the read state isn't saved when hitting the window close
> icon while pan switches from a huge group to anoterh huge group.

Gentoo here too.  0.142 is pretty old.  0.145 is available as ~arch.  You
might try it and see if the problems persist, tho I don't remember having
them back on 0.142 either, so it could be something else, perhaps an
older library if you're on stable for everything.  (I'm on ~amd64 in
general, but actually running a live-git pan using a pan-9999 ebuild I've
occasionally updated since years ago, and check for git updates weekly or
so.  The -9999 ebuild used to be available in-tree but isn't any more.)

The read state... is normally saved when switching groups, and these
days, every few minutes within the same group as well.  I don't know if
the autosave was in 0.142 yet, but it should be in 0.145, and the number
of minutes between saves is set in the preferences dialog, miscellaneous
tab, minutes to autosave newsrc file option.  You might try lowering that
a bit, so at least if it doesn't get updated on group change you only
lose say two minutes worth of read-message tracking rather than 5 (what I
have set here and I think possibly the default, as I don't remember
changing the option, certainly not recently), or since you last changed
groups if your pan is too old to have the autosave.

Meanwhile, ssd or spinning rust, and how much RAM (and swap if
applicable) do you have?  What's free's output when you're running pan in
one of those large groups?  (And if you have it handy from htop or ps or
whatever, what's pan's memory usage, rss/resident-set-size, etc.  FWIW,
htop says 143M resident, 590M virtual, here, but that's after a resent
pan restart, and as I said, I don't tend to do groups with millions of
headers any more.)

I'm now all ssd, and I don't really do binaries much any more and don't
really frequent groups with millions of articles, but I do have my cache
set to several gigs (pan's cache default size is 10 MiB) and have expiry
set to unexpiring, with articles from some groups going back to 2002,
when I started with pan.  Since pan (re)threads messages each session and
keeps that information in memory, it can take quite a bit of RAM for
large groups, and back when I was on spinning rust, I remember it taking
some time (minutes) to start pan as it loaded in my several gigs of posts
from cache to rethread them.

If you're doing groups with 10s of millions of headers, pan will be using
quite a bit of memory and if you have swap and 16 gigs (what I have, plus
swap that's generally only used when I build chromium as that appears to
use up to ~24 gig) or less of RAM, it might be hitting swap, which might
help explain both issues, the lost server due to a timeout trying to read
in its config due to swap thrashing at the same time, and the lost read-
message tracking due to that data being swapped out when you close pan,
with not enough time to swap it back in and save before the resources
cleanup begins.