pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Using pan -> yenc article -> extracted .msg files -> the

From: Rhialto
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Using pan -> yenc article -> extracted .msg files -> then what?
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 2021 15:01:50 +0100

On Sun 31 Jan 2021 at 11:41:52 -0800, Rickbrown wrote:
> I am trying to view/extract images from a britishrailways group. The header
> pane shows several articles including ["gobblygook" yEnc(27)]. When I click
> that I am presented with a Pan: Save Articles dialog. When I select [Save]
> 28 files appear in the selected destination directory. One of which is
> binary ("gobblygook") size 19 MB.  Twenty-seven are (number.number.(numbers
> 1-27)@PRIVATE.msg) which add up to about 19 MB. Those files contain routing
> information plus what is most likely attached image binary data. I have been
> unable to find any method to make use of those files.

That sounds somewhat similar what I'm trying to fix in
https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/pan/-/merge_requests/9 described in issue
https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/pan/-/issues/110.

Basically the problem is that Pan uses a library to to extract files
which was written for a slightly different purpose. Pan already knows
which files belong together and uses the library for extraction. But the
library is meant to deal with "just random collections" of articles, and
does its own checking which parts go together.

For example, if there are multiple files in a single post, it manages
and this is good.

But these days you sometimes see weird random and different names in
yEnc files belonging together, and the library tries to keep them
separate. Which is bad.

Another possibility is that you have selected to save both attachment
and article bodies; that might cause files named like that to be
created too.

-Olaf.
--
Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert -- rhialto at falu dot nl
___  Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on