pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Pan 0.146 on Mageia-8: Will not close cleanly

From: glen walpert
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Pan 0.146 on Mageia-8: Will not close cleanly
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2021 10:57:41 -0400

On 6/15/21 7:40 AM, Maurice wrote:
Using Pan 0.146 on Mageia-8, in recent weeks it has failed to close when
requested, but reports:

  "Application Pan is not responding. Select 'Terminate' or 'Wait'.
Selecting Terminate does work sometimes; Selecting Wait doesn't appear
to do
anything, but if I minimise the session I notice that the Pan icon
disappears
from the Task Bar after a few seconds - as if it had been awaiting
something to
finish somewhere...

Puzzled as to why now behaving like this...

I have the same or similar problem with Pan 0.144-1 (current version in Ubuntu repository) on Ubuntu 18.04-5.  Pan worked perfectly until a regrettably un-noted update a few months ago, when I started getting the 'Terminate' or 'Wait' message on shutdown, with a long wait if wait was selected.  When restarting Pan all changes I made to the group that was open on shutdown (all messages marked read) were lost, regardless of whether 'Terminate' or 'Wait' was selected.  As a workaround I have started switching to an inactive newsgroup before closing Pan.  This results in a fast normal appearing shutdown, with the final group change being the only thing lost - Pan reopens in the active group and shows me only new messages.

Glen