pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] I'm back! Was: can you run Pan 2 on anything but GNOME/L

From: Lacrocivious Acrophosist
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] I'm back! Was: can you run Pan 2 on anything but GNOME/Linux? (and how to donate?)
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2021 19:20:31 +0000 (UTC)

Duncan--

Yay! Congratulations! So glad you are: (1) back; and (2) not a member of that Great Newsgroup in the Sky!

I managed to build Sweet Solitude (0049344 github.com/GNOME/pan.git; x86_64-pc-linux-gnu) on my Fedora 33 host, but it wasn't easy. While I don't remember all the specific dependency installs I stumbled through -- having scant clue about what I was doing as I am not a coder -- nor the final make command that actually produced a viable executable, I have been able to continue using Pan without significant problems.

At some point I enabled Detlef Graef's _copr:copr.fedorainfracloud.org:dgraef:Pan repository.

My host is a Ryzen 7 3700X CPU with 64GB RAM and an AMD Radeon RX 5600 XT GPU, running the KDE desktop environment. Starting Pan from the application launcher menu does not work; the taskbar flickers briefly and then nothing. Launching pan from konsole with 'pan &' works fine. However, if I leave Pan idling for more than a handful of hours, it seizes 100% of a CPU until I kill the PID. Otherwise, functions work as intended.

--Lacrocivious Acrophosist
Twice as crazy as I would be, if I was half as crazy as I am.