pan-users

[Pan-users] user-friendly .newsrc

From: David Chmelik
Subject: [Pan-users] user-friendly .newsrc
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2022 01:30:56 -0700

On 3/14/22 10:47 PM, David Chmelik wrote:
[...] If I can't extract actually-subscribed groups, I'm not going to spend days/weeks paging tens/hundreds thousands lines newsgroups to see which have articles, so may be unable to use NNTP anymore.  If I could only get a user-friendly .newsrc, having to resubscribe almost 1,000 newsgroups is several-days-project but doable/worthwhile to recreate functional .newsrc and be able to post again.

After asking here months/years, I finally asked libera (formerly freenode) IRC #bash where someone said ''grep -v '!' newsrc > newsrc2" which seemed to work (there are methods with awk, maybe cut, and ed, printf, sed) but GUI NNTP users shouldn't have to resort to command-line--most people wouldn't know this.  NNTP readers allow saving user-friendly (subscribed-only) .newsrcs besides master newsgroup lists.

I'm on my way to doing backup & deletion of my corrupt ~/.pan2, restarting.