pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] HTML Previewer - how to use?

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] HTML Previewer - how to use?
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2022 12:34:16 -0000 (UTC)

Jim Henderson posted on Tue, 19 Jul 2022 23:19:25 -0000 (UTC) as
excerpted:

> I ran across a couple of posts on gmane that were sent from gmail, which
> notoriously sends everything in HTML unless you take specific steps
> (that most users don't even know about) to send plain-text only.
>
> I know there'd been some discussion in the past about doing some sort of
> HTML rendering (or stripping, ala claws) to deal with situations like
> that, but ultimately that discussion didn't really seem to go anywhere.
>
> In one of the discussions, Duncan mentioned that there's this "HTML
> Previewer" setting in the preferences, and I thought I'd take a look at
> that, but I'm not familiar enough with the code to track down how to
> actually use it.  I tried putting html2text in the field, but the field
> clears after saving the preferences (I tried with the path and without
> it)
> - but I also noticed that the down arrow to select other options is also
> greyed out (unlike the text editor setting above it).
>
> Just out of curiosity (more than anything), has anyone either worked out
> how to use this or actually gotten it to work?

I hadn't tried until now, but looking at the grayed out option while
seeing custom command set for the first two (web browser and mail reader)
and my custom text-editor (my pan-attach-kd script) set there...

I'd guess that the feature may be a stub, either not enabled in my build
due to turning off whatever build-time option enables it, or perhaps it's
left-over experimental code for a feature that the would-be-feature author
never got to work as they liked, left there as a place-holder-reminder
that never got removed when their interest in it died.

As an alternative, you already mentioned the claws (claws-mail) html-
stripping feature, and claws does have a news mode as well.  I'm not
particularly impressed by claws' news mode in general (tho claws is my
preferred for mail and feeds), but for single-shot individual html
messages, it might be worthwhile to try, at least.