parallel

Re: parallel refusing to take my request

From: Ecks Hecker
Subject: Re: parallel refusing to take my request
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2020 19:52:53 +0100

_Request for help_

Reiterating after 2 more weeks of failing to get what i want...

basically, i am using a script to create a directory of sparse files,
mainly like this:
> find "$SOURCE" -type f > filelist
> wc filelist # (returns 6917    6917  797053)
> time createdirectoryfrom "$SOURCE" "$TARGET" < filelist # (shows about
> 1 minute before it is done)
i tried to split the last task onto cores like this:
> cat filelist | parallel --pipe -j24 createdirectoryfrom "$SOURCE"
> "$TARGET"
but i keep getting the following warning:
> Warning: Only enough file handles to run 252 jobs in parallel.
> parallel: Warning: Running 'parallel -j0 -N 252 --pipe parallel -j0' or
> parallel: Warning: raising 'ulimit -n' or 'nofile' in
> /etc/security/limits.conf
> parallel: Warning: or /proc/sys/fs/file-max may help.
And from the time used, i can conclude, that still only one thread is used.
As noted below, none of the suggestions does help, and even the message
itself does not seem to be strictly correct. The server, i am on , has 2
CPUs with 16 Cores each, ulimit -n shows > 1000.

What am i doing wrong, or is this really a bug in parallel?
I am using
> GNU parallel 20201122
Please hint me out of my stuck state. :-)
Ecks