parallel

Re: parallel refusing to take my request

From: Ole Tange
Subject: Re: parallel refusing to take my request
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2020 22:02:25 +0100

On Tue, Dec 8, 2020 at 4:10 PM Ecks Hecker <kajandata@vivaldi.net> wrote:
:
> > parallel: Warning: Only enough file handles to run 252 jobs in parallel.
> > parallel: Warning: Running 'parallel -j0 -N 252 --pipe parallel -j0' or
> > parallel: Warning: raising 'ulimit -n' or 'nofile' in
> > /etc/security/limits.conf
> > parallel: Warning: or /proc/sys/fs/file-max may help.
> Well, i did raise the 'nofile' limit as indicated, even tried the --pipe
> construct, to no avail.
>
> ulimit -n gives 1024

You need to raise it further.

On my systems I am using 1048576 with no ill effects: It does not take
up extra RAM or slow down processing.

Coincidently I was curious why we have the 1024 limit in the first
place when 1M works fine - and does not cause the problem you see.

So I asked:

https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/625616/what-is-the-historical-reason-for-limits-on-file-descriptors-ulimit-n/625620?noredirect=1#comment1170965_625620

> Apart from that, there seems to be some misunderstanding from my side,

Nah, there seems to be some misunderstanding on your distribution's
side: The default of 1024 made sense in 1990. It no longer does.

/Ole