Re: [Phpgroupware-users] Problems with apache processes

From: Alex Borges
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-users] Problems with apache processes
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 11:28:21 -0500

El mié, 10-09-2003 a las 09:00, Jorge Izquierdo escribió:
> Hello everybody. I´m using phpgroupware in an Apache 2.0.46 server with
> PHP 4.3.2 enabled and MySQL 4.0.13 database on a Solaris 8 operating system.
>
> I have 20000 users using email and calendar applications deployed in my
> environment. The problem is, that after a couple of days working
> everything fine, my httpd process (apache childs) start consuming all
> the CPU of my system and causung everything to work slower and slower.
> Does anybody have a similar problem? Is this a problem of the
> application or maybe the versions I´m using? Does phpgroupware works
> fine in environments similar to mine (20000 users and calendar and email
> application)?

w00t, 20k? And i thought i had the biggest ones! Anyhow its more
important to know how many users are concurrently hitting it.

THAT BUG....

The older anglesmail have a folder management bug that makes them leak
apache stray proceses. I managed this like this:

1.- I use apache 1.3.27  with lingerd. I have no idea how to work it out
in 2.x, but it does help a lot in the pre-2 series.  It will limit the
number of apaches running at any time. If you ask me, apache2 is really
not ready for prime time yet, let others try the new stuff.

2.- Tune your database, the less time it takes to do any queries, the
less time apache will have threads/proceses arround, reducing the
probability of they going stray with a strange bug (what apache backend
are you using anyhow?).

3.- Tune your apache a lot.

4.- Look into the new anglesmail versions, especially, the one already
backported into phpgw in the RC1 tarball (16 branch). It kills that bug
and is generaly faster, also overcomming this problems. It has other
problems too, so be shure to test it fist.