platform-testers

Re: [platform-testers] testing?

From: Andreas Enge
Subject: Re: [platform-testers] testing?
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2012 13:26:54 +0100

On Thu, Nov 22, 2012 at 07:33:24PM +0000, Karl Berry wrote:
> So if anyone has time to devote to handling pretest requests, that would
> be great.
> According to the list information page
> (https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/platform-testers), that should
> be everyone subscribed here, but somehow I doubt that is the reality :).

Not being a list administrator, I do not know how many people are subscribed.
I joined recently and did a few tests (and was also disappointed that nobody
reacted to my testing request). It was unclear whether one should reply to
the list or to the person requesting the test only; I think the former would
be preferable, since it allows to judge how many people actually do work.

> In the absence of active volunteers, I guess the available alternative
> is the Hydra setup, as described on http://www.gnu.org/software/devel.html.

This is a good idea anyway, but Hydra has a limited number of testing
platforms. A general problem I perceive is that GCC continues to declare
some rather "exotic" platforms as primary development targets, but that the
GNU project does not make all of these platforms available to developers or
testers.

Andreas