pygsear-users

[pygsear] Re: questions [3]

From: Lee Harr
Subject: [pygsear] Re: questions [3]
Date: Sun, 09 Mar 2003 17:55:22 +0000

* I am *very* impressed by Path.py! Just wanted to say :)

Thanks. I thought it was a good idea, but now I am not so sure.

It seems kind of like having a different dog for each trick
(this is Spot, he is my dog that can roll over)

I am working now on what I call PathNG  ;o)

What I would like is all of the functionality of all those
Path subclasses rolled in to the one-true-path.

* How does pygsear cope with backward incompatibities? I don't think
     pygsear has a large user base yet, so it shan't be a major problem.

I hope it is not too much hassle... All I can say is:
danger: changing APIs ahead!

* Does pygsear use Python 2.3 features?

I am still using 2.2

* Would it be an idea to load multiple images from one file? Many games
     have hundreds of sprites for moving monsters, and all files with
     40x40 images is not practical. Loading and saving animated images
     according to a protocol would be a worthy feature.

Sounds like a good idea. I know FreeCraft, for instance puts all
the images for a sprite on one sheet in a particular layout.

Right now you would have to put them all in to a folder and give
them the right names.

For anything more than a few different images, it would probably
be better all on one sheet.

* Does pygsear have a detailed goal apart from 'making it easier to
     program'?

Not really.

I think it would be good if Pygame included some higher-level API
so that people do not have to keep re-inventing all sorts of wheels.

That said, I think pygsear could serve as a good playground to try
out different ideas.

My main goal, however, is to help my students (who mostly have zero
programming experience) get started quickly and see results quickly,
so that they do not lose interest :o)

* Does pygsear think large projects can be written in python + pygame
     + pygsear (Freeciv-alike)?

Personally, I think Python + Pygame is a great platform for
programming. Whether that includes pygsear is still to be seen.

* Does pygsear handle speed well?

Probably about equal with plain Pygame. Hopefully by using pygsear
people brand new to the system will avoid some of the worst speed
pitfalls.

* What is the history of pygsear?

The oldest file in my first cvs repository is from December 1 of
2002. When it got to the point where I thought someone might
conceivably be able to figure out what I was doing and use the
system, I created the savannah project and wrote an email to the
pygame-user list.

Thank you for your thoughtful questions and comments.