qemacs-devel

Re: [Qemacs-devel] QEmacs alive?

From: Ty Sarna
Subject: Re: [Qemacs-devel] QEmacs alive?
Date: Mon, 01 Nov 2004 11:55:57 -0500

>  I am subcribed but it looks like the people who worked on it (at least, the
> developers and the Debian manteiner) a I am afraid they are death (I hope not

Hmmm, since the email went, through, I guess I am subscribed after
all, or don't need to be. Strange. When I signed up, I never got a
confirmation email, it looked like the list was set up for manual
approval.

Anyway, the original email I was planning to send after I subscibed:

---
Hi. For many, many years I've been using an ancient, hacked-up version of
MicroEMACS 3.9i as my editor. I could never stand GNU emacs as it was
too bloated and had enough differences to drive me crazy. Recently I
discovered QEmacs, and while it has a lot of GNUisms, it otherwise seems
to be what I've been looking for as a replacement.

I have a couple issues though. First, it doesn't work well in
black-on-white terminals. I tried changing this with my config file
using set_style, but there are a couple issues. First, putting an
invalid style name (I first tried "foreground-color" before "color")
causes a segfault. Second, "white" seems to actually result in a light
grey.

Next, I tried to reassign the help stuff to M-? instead of ^H, since I
want my backspace key to backspace. But this doesn't work:

global_set_key("M-?", "help-for-help");

It binds help-for-help to just "?" instead.

[later I found out this is a bug in the key parsing routine... you can
only use M-[a-z] or C-[a-z]... I fixed this in my copy, as I'm used to
M-space for setting mark, and there was no way to bind that...]

next, this doesn't work:

global_set_key("^H", "backward-delete-char");

because ^H^H is still bound, I guess, and there is no way to unbind a key.
---

I also fixed several problems with configure and the makefile in my
copy, and started adding some uemacs-compatability commands. I saw
another patch in the archives to fix yank. I know I can eventually fix
all the problems and add the missing features I want, but my question
now is "what then?". Is QEmacs still maintained at all?