qemacs-devel

Re: [Qemacs-devel] dired mode behaviour

From: Charles Gordon
Subject: Re: [Qemacs-devel] dired mode behaviour
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2017 16:09:39 +0200

On 4 Apr 2017, at 14:46, Hadrien Lacour <address@hidden> wrote:

Hello again,

I usually use ranger instead of dired to naviguate, but since C-c C-f doesn't
have completion, I've started using it. When opening the dired panel and
choosing a file, the scrolling changes: moving down one line scrolls one line,
even at the beginning of the screen. This behaviour stays even after closing
the panel via C-x 0

Hi Hadrien,

Sorry for the lack of documentation, here are the explanations:

C-c C-f is bound to load-config-file(filename).  It searches for a file in the load-path where configuration files are loaded from.
It can be used to load the ~/.qe/config file from anywhere and I also use it to load files from my scripts directory without having to specify the exact path
I intend to add completion to the command, but it requires some tweaking as the matches do not necessarily share a common prefix.

Why do you not want completion?  It mostly the behavior of the space bar that is a problem?

The curious behavior on navigation from the dired pane is called preview-mode: the cursor movement commands cause scrolling instead of moving the current point.

You can exit this mode with the Enter key.

I use it to navigate efficiently with the keyboard :
- the right key in the dired pane switches to the file buffer
- the left key in preview mode at the start of a line switches back to the dired pane
- the up and down keys scroll the window contents for reading the fiel contents.
- when a different file is viewed, the preview buffer is discarded.

Multi-pane dired mode is bound to C-x C-d

What is ranger? Probably not this one: http://www.frc.ri.cmu.edu/~alonzo/projects/ranger/ranger.html

More likely this: http://ranger.nongnu.org/

I have never used it, I will look into it and see what I can include in terms of ergonomics.

Thanks for your feedback.

Chqrlie.