qemacs-devel

Re: indent-tabs-mode

From: Charlie Gordon
Subject: Re: indent-tabs-mode
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2022 15:58:32 +0200

Hello Piscium,

Thank you for your feedback, can you be more specific about the way you perform
copy + paste?

What is your environment? how do you run qemacs and what kind of keys do you
use to perform copy + paste?

qemacs does not convert tabs to spaces when copying with kill / yank commands.

When using the OS clipboard, things get more messy:

For example: when I run qemacs in the macOS iTerm2 terminal, and if I copy
using the mac clipboard and paste
into the qemacs terminal window with a mac paste shortcut (or right menu
option), tabs are taken as commands
and expand to spaces depending on the settings for the current window.

Regarding other editors, it is not uncommon for the editor to reformat the
block when pasting into C or similar mode buffers.
qemacs does not do this and it is rather easy to hit Ctrl-Alt-\ to reindent the
yanked block that is marked by default, assuming a yank
command was used.

I would like to improve qemacs integration with X-windows and other window
managers, this is one of the many issues in this area.

As a quick fix for your current issue, you can add a .qerc file somewhere in
the file hierarchy with this line: indent_tabs_mode = 1;

.qerc files are searched and parsed from the root directory down the directory
tree leading to the file upon loading a file to set up projet wide settings.
I agree I should document these configuration options

Regarding the default for indent_tabs_mode as 0 except for Makefiles, let’s not
start a war, but it has been my default for the last 20 years,
after 20 years of advocating the use of TABs in source files, my personal take
on hindsight 20/20 :)

Ciao!

Chqrlie.