qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC 1/1] hw/pvrdma: Add live migration support

From: Yuval Shaia
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC 1/1] hw/pvrdma: Add live migration support
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2019 15:08:36 +0300

> > > @Marcel, @Yuval: As David has suggested, what if we just read the dma
> > > addresses in pvrdma_load(), and let the load_dsr() do the mapping?
> > > In pvrdma_regs_write(), we can check if dev->dsr_info.dma is already set,
> > > so
> > > that its value is not overwritten.
> >
> > Have you tried that? Did it works?
>
> I haven't tried it, but in the dest, the guest will not call
> pvrdma_regs_write()
> for DSR again as it calls it only when the guest driver probes pci.
> load_dsr() will not be called then.
> So, I guess my assumption was wrong.

To clarify. The guest is not "calling" pvrdma_regs_write() directly, it
writes into a register and this triggers the function.

So my thinking was that you meant to hook into *any* such register-write
and call "load_dsr" indirectly, i.e. to simulate a guest writing into DSR
register.

This might work and it is nice idea, just wondering whether you actually
give that a try.

> > So it is like a lazy load and the first command will be bit slower, we can
> > live with that i guess.

That is way i called it "lazy load".