qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] [QUESTION] SDL 1.2 support

From: Aleksandar Markovic
Subject: [Qemu-devel] [QUESTION] SDL 1.2 support
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2019 13:17:01 +0200

Hello, Gerd, Daniel, and others involved.

I have multiple reports from end users that say that transition from
SDL 1.2 to SDL 2.0 was difficult, or even impossible for their hosts.
In that light, they don't appreciate removing SDL 1.2 support from
QEMU. The most notable example is Ubutnu 16.04, where it looks there
is no way of installing SDL 2.0 that does not involve complete OS
upgrade, which, for various reasons, many are not willing to do.

It looks to me that depreciation of SDL 1.2 was a little premature. My
humble opinion is that we should not look at release dates of
libraries when we deprecate them, but release dates and end-of-support
dates of major Linux distribution that include them.

My question for you is: How difficult would be to reactivate SDL 1.2
support in QEMU, and postpone its depreciation for a couple of years?

I do not demand anything, this is just a question, meant to start a
conversation.

Yours,
Aleksandar