qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [QUESTION] SDL 1.2 support

From: Aleksandar Markovic
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [QUESTION] SDL 1.2 support
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2019 20:06:24 +0200

> > It appears that Ubuntu 16.04 came originally with SDL 1.2, and
> > SDL 2.0 was made available later on.
>
> That is not the case. Ubuntu has shipped both SDL 1.2 and 2.0
> concurrently as options, even in the previous 14.04 LTS, and
> probably before that too.

Thank you for finding this out.

However, this bring to surface another problematic point:

We assume that introduction of SDL 2.0 to Ubuntu is a green light
for deprecating SDL 1.2. In fact, SDL 1.2 is not deprecated by
Ubuntu (at least not by 16.04) - as established by you.

> > That is the problem: We make, in my opinion, an incorrect logical
> > leap here: we assume that if a package is available for an OS, it is
> > installed (or should be installed) on any instance of an OS.
>
> We're not assuming that it is installed, as everyone's OS install
> packageset is going to be different. We're just assuming that it is
> possible to be installed as an official vendor package, should the
> user want that feature. This is not unreasonable IMHO.

Again, what I find problematic is that we don't take deprecating
of older version of a library by a distribution as our reference point,
but our reference point is introducing of a new version.

Daniel, in any case, thanks a lot for your responses, I will not
respond to another email of yours in this thread, since I would be
just repeating myself - I also responded to Peter and Thomas,
so you can read those responses too for more details.

Many thanks again!
Aleksandar