qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [For 4.1 PATCH v2 0/2] Reversions to fix PCIe in virtio

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [For 4.1 PATCH v2 0/2] Reversions to fix PCIe in virtio
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2019 17:43:17 +0100

On Mon, 29 Jul 2019 at 17:36, Dr. David Alan Gilbert
<address@hidden> wrote:

> * Cornelia Huck (address@hidden) wrote:
> > On Mon, 29 Jul 2019 17:29:01 +0100
> > "Dr. David Alan Gilbert (git)" <address@hidden> wrote:
> >
> > > From: "Dr. David Alan Gilbert" <address@hidden>
> > >
> > > Revert a couple of patches that break PCIe capabilities in virtio
> > > devices. The 'optional' revert is just reverted to make the main
> > > reversion trivial.
> >
> > Don't want to spoil the party here; but wasn't the optional stuff
> > removed because it was deemed to be a bad idea?
>
> I'm perfectly happy to go either way with this; it maybe a bad idea
> but it's harmless I think.

It seems like the original commits were:
 * patch that does something
 * patch that removes no-longer used functionality (optional globals)

so it makes sense to me that if we want to revert the 'patch that
does something' we should first revert the patch that cleaned
up unused-functionality (because now we need it again). Is
that right?

If optional-globals are a bad idea then we should take another
run at this for 4.2, but as a "revert stuff for 4.1" strategy
it seems fine to me.

thanks
-- PMM