qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [ANNOUNCE] QEMU 4.1.0-rc3 is now available

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [ANNOUNCE] QEMU 4.1.0-rc3 is now available
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2019 11:44:43 +0100

On Fri, 2 Aug 2019 at 11:31, Marc-André Lureau
<address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi
>
> On Fri, Aug 2, 2019 at 2:19 PM Peter Maydell <address@hidden> wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, 31 Jul 2019 at 19:17, Peter Maydell <address@hidden> wrote:

> > > Were there any RC bugs in it?
> >
> > Ping! If we want to put this into an rc4 can we have a
> > pull request with a justification on the mailing list
> > sooner rather than later, please?
>
> It's about a CVE-2019-14378, that Samuel fixed a few days ago:
> https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/slirp/libslirp/commit/126c04acbabd7ad32c2b018fe10dfac2a3bc1210
>
> Imho, it's not a regression, so no need to delay qemu release.

Yeah, but it is a security bug, presumably, given the CVE.
https://access.redhat.com/security/cve/cve-2019-14378
suggests the consequences are more than just a DoS.
I think that merits including in the release.

> I would encourage distributions to switch to the shared library
> version instead, so they can more easily and quickly apply updates.

Well, that might be nice eventually, but it's not where we are
right now. QEMU is the primary consumer of the slirp library
and we ship a copy of it, so we need to coordinate about releases
and potential security issues.

Could you send out a pull request which updates our slirp
submodule to a version which just has that CVE fix on top
of what we already have (slirp commit f0da6726207b740f6),
please?

thanks
-- PMM