qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] libvhost-user: undefined reference to MADV_NOHUGEPAGE

From: Richard Henderson
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] libvhost-user: undefined reference to MADV_NOHUGEPAGE
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2019 17:39:26 -0700

On 8/27/19 5:26 PM, Sandra Loosemore wrote:
> Yesterday I tried to build the recent 4.1 release system-mode QEMU for
> aarch64-none-elf and ran into a compilation error in
> ./contrib/libvhost-user/libvhost-user.c.

Why are you attempting to compile qemu for a non-hosted (aka bare metal)
configuration?  That is certainly not a supported thing to do.  We require
POSIX (or Win32) at a minimum.

I can only presume that you're intending a hosted configuration, and using a
cross-compiler that doesn't actually match up.  What is the intended host (and
libc if this is for Linux, since there are at least 3)?

> It's complaining about
> MADV_NOHUGEPAGE not being defined.  I'm not familiar with that code or even
> what it does; should that bit of logic be made conditional on MADV_NOHUGEPAGE
> being defined, or is this indicative of a configuration error for this
> target?

I'm leaning toward the latter, but you're not giving much in the way of a hint.

r~