qemu-devel

Re: [PULL v2 00/73] tcg plugins and testing updates

From: Markus Armbruster
Subject: Re: [PULL v2 00/73] tcg plugins and testing updates
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2019 14:59:03 +0200

I hate to interfere with the merging of working code for non-technical
reasons....

This is a plugin interface.  As I wrote in reply to v4, I'd like to see
a pragmatic argument why abuse of the plugin interface to circumvent the
GPL is not practical.  This might include "not a stable interface", "you
have to link with a truckload of gpl code", "the set of things you can
do is deliberately extremely limited".

Perhaps such an argument is made somewhere in these 73 patches already.
I admit to not having read them all :)  In the TCG plugin design document
perhaps?  Assuming it exists...

I proposed discussing the project's requirements for external interfaces
on GPL circumvention deterrence at the QEMU Summit next week.

If merging this could be delayed until the licensing ramifications have
become a bit more clear, I'd be obliged.