qemu-devel

Re: [PULL v2 00/73] tcg plugins and testing updates

From: Alex Bennée
Subject: Re: [PULL v2 00/73] tcg plugins and testing updates
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2019 09:07:01 +0000

Peter Maydell <address@hidden> writes:

> On Fri, 25 Oct 2019 at 21:24, Markus Armbruster <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Alex Bennée <address@hidden> writes:
>> > I'd rather not unless we can make an exception for late merging of the
>> > PR. I've worked quite hard to make sure everything is ready for the 4.2
>> > window and I'd rather not miss a whole release cycle on a
>> > misunderstanding of what these plugins allow.
>>
>> I think there are multiple ways to avoid the nuclear outcome.
>>
>> Coming to a conclusion before the soft freeze is the nicest one.
>>
>> Making an exception for late merging is another one, but Peter may
>> prefer not to.
>>
>> Yet another one is merging the pull request before the soft freeze with
>> the understanding that it'll be reverted unless we come to a positive
>> conclusion before say -rc0 (Nov 5).  I'm confident we can work it out in
>> Lyon.
>
> I'm happy with any of these (and we have a longstanding rule
> that as long as a version of the pullreq was on list before soft
> freeze it's ok to apply before hardfreeze, even if it needed to
> go through a few versions or was otherwise a bit delayed).
>
> In practice, since I'm on holiday Mon/Tues and this hotel wifi is
> awful it's quite likely that I wouldn't get round to actually processing
> a pullreq with the TCG plugins in it before we all get a chance
> to talk face-to-face on Wednesday anyhow :-)

I do actually have a little bit in my talk about the history of plugins
and the worries about GPL circumnavigation in my talk on Friday but that
doesn't stop us previewing it on Wednesday ;-)

> Alex: I suggest you send out a pullreq with the plugins stuff
> (I've just applied your testing pullreq), and then we can
> make sure it gets over the "passes merge build/tests" hurdle.

I'll spin a new PR. I split the testing changes (and reverted the netbsd
autoinstall patch again) and sent that on Friday. Would it be OK still
to base the plugins PR on top of the new testing PR to avoid the
conflicts in Travis?

--
Alex Bennée