qemu-devel

Vote against removing the bluetooth subsystem from Quemu.

From: Andreas Scheucher
Subject: Vote against removing the bluetooth subsystem from Quemu.
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2019 14:11:32 +0000

Hello,

I found following note in the Qemu documentation: This option and the whole bluetooth subsystem is considered as deprecated. If you still use it, please send a mail to address@hidden where you describe your usecase.

Here I am :)

As GPU passthrough is becoming more and more common (to run Linux / Windows / Mac OS X simultaneously on the same host to prevent multiboot) on desktop systems, support for the use of the host Bluetooth device in Quemu VMs for sure will be a common use case: https://www.reddit.com/r/VFIO/

For me personally I just want to set up a setup supporting Windows & Linux to use the first strong nVidia GPU for occasional gaming on Windows and video editing with DaVinci Resolve under CentOs.

On the second AMD GPU I plan to install a Mac OS X VM, which for sure needs some Bluetooth support for a Magic Mouse 2 and maybe a Bluetooth Keyboard.

For sure Mac OS X in a VM is not the most common use case, but should work fine following some reports. And considering the prices for Apple hardware, a GPU solution with moderate expensive hardware seems to be a reasonable solution for many use cases.

Thanks for considering my use case and vote.

Best regards,

Andreas