qemu-devel

Re: [RFC] QEMU as Xcode project on macOS

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [RFC] QEMU as Xcode project on macOS
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2020 11:35:46 +0100

On Thu, 10 Sep 2020 at 11:14, Christian Schoenebeck
<qemu_oss@crudebyte.com> wrote:
> For developers it is actually the complete opposite on Mac: you start to
> install things from somewhere, then you need to install something from
> somewhere else, manually build & install stuff, and you end up in conflicts
> and misbehaviours all over the place.

This has not been my experience -- homebrew has everything, and
it doesn't have problems like this.

> The way to go for devs on Mac is: 3rd party libs should not be installed into
> global space, rather be built & linked either as dynamic frameworks (including
> assets) or as static libs. Then apps always run with the precise version and
> flags of libs they were tested with and never conflict with another app's
> version/config of libs.

Does Apple (or anybody else) provide a framework for doing this
so that developers of individual applications can just say "my
app needs libs X, Y, Z" and they don't have to mess around
finding, figuring out how to compile, and shipping the sources of
libs X, Y, Z? If there's a better mechanism than Homebrew for this
that's great, but at the moment what you seem to be saying is
"you should do a lot more work to manually set something up where
you ship the sources to all your dependencies and then build them
all". There's no way we're ever going to do that, it is just
way too much work for very little gain.

thanks
-- PMM