qemu-devel

Deprecating --enable-gprof?

From: Marc-André Lureau
Subject: Deprecating --enable-gprof?
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2020 17:25:45 +0400

Hi

configure has --enable-gprof since its creation, but is it actually being used, or is it sporadic enough that we could deprecate it?

I have some reason to believe that it's not used much:
- --enable-gprof only enables -p, which is prof (not gprof!)
- nowadays there are better profiling tools, such as perf

Should we fix it to use gprof instead? Or does anyone actually care about it?

It is problematic as the flag is passed to meson globally (add_project_arguments), but some targets may not support it. I have pending patches for pc-bios/* roms. And we can't remove the flag for those easily (not as easily as if it was supported by meson, like coverage)

I would propose to deprecate it on the configure options. A user can always override the cflags manually to provide -p option if he really needs it. Alternatively, I could work on getting support in meson (https://github.com/mesonbuild/meson/issues/3659), but this would bump our meson dependency more.

What do you think?

--
Marc-André Lureau