qemu-devel

Re: Contributor wanting to get started with simple contributions

From: John Snow
Subject: Re: Contributor wanting to get started with simple contributions
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2020 00:38:07 -0400

On 9/2/20 12:38 PM, Rohit Shinde wrote:
Hey John,

I wanted to follow up on this, in case you missed my previous email :)

Thanks,
Rohit.

Sorry Rohit, very buried in my work and haven't been doing a good job with my inbox.

Right now, I am working on converting the QAPI parser module to the strictly typed mypy subset:

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2020-09/msg09136.html

There are six parts in all, that is part one. I am posting a v4 right now as I write this.

Work that remains to be done after these six parts:

- Get ./python/qemu passing under mypy/pylint/flake8 again. I have old patches for this that were on-list prior to the 5.1 release.

- Move ./scripts/qapi to ./python/qemu/qapi/

- Move ./python/qemu to ./python/qemu/core/

- Create a "make check" style script that will run mypy/pylint/flake8/isort on all the code in ./python. (I have patches for this, too.)

- Start investigating python scripts in ./scripts and consider moving them to ./python/qemu/tools, fixing them up to pass mypy/flake8/pylint/isort (etc) as I go. There are no existing patches to do this yet.

Other work I am doing:

- Investigating the use of Pydantic to replace ./scripts/qapi/expr.py
- Investigating a YAML format for the QAPI parser
- Building a JSON-SCHEMA output format for the QAPI generator