qemu-devel

Re: Looking for advise on debugging a non-boot kernel on qemu-system-sh4

From: BALATON Zoltan
Subject: Re: Looking for advise on debugging a non-boot kernel on qemu-system-sh4
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2021 14:12:37 +0200 (CEST)

Hello,

On Thu, 21 Oct 2021, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
I'm regularly building debian-installer packages for Debian's unofficial ports
which includes sh4 among others. The kernel package and therefore the installer
package contains a kernel for the SH7751R machine which is emulated by QEMU when
choosing the "r2d" type.

Unfortunately, I have not yet been able to boot a current kernel on
qemu-system-sh4,
the screen remains blank and there are no error messages. Booting an older 2.6
kernel
works just fine.

I'm using qemu-system-sh4 as follows:

$ qemu-system-sh4 -M r2d -kernel vmlinuz-2.6.32-5-sh7751r -initrd initrd.gz
-hda debian.img \
 -append "root=/dev/sda1 console=tty0 noiotrap"

The old 2.6 kernel from [1] boots fine while the current 5.14.x kernel from [2]
does
not produce any output.

Can anyone enlighten me what I might be missing?

Adding -d in_asm shows it seems to loop early in the kernel but not sure where. Maybe try to compare addresses with System.map to find out where it's getting stuck (but System.map was not included in your installer image). Also if it works on earlier kernel you might try to bisect which kernel commit caused the problem. Maybe knowing that helps to tell where to look further.

Regards,
BALATON Zoltan