qemu-devel

Re: Looking for advise on debugging a non-boot kernel on qemu-system-sh4

From: BALATON Zoltan
Subject: Re: Looking for advise on debugging a non-boot kernel on qemu-system-sh4
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2021 23:06:48 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 21 Oct 2021, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
On 10/21/21 15:49, BALATON Zoltan wrote:
So somthing seems to overwrite it. Maybe you can try building an uncompressed
kernel or one using a different compression and see if that does the same, at
least that way we can see if it's in the decompressing or later. I think it's
past linux/arch/sh/boot/compressed/head32.S and maybe somewhere in
decompress_kernel
but not sure which decompression it uses. Kernel config is also missing to check
but I probably give up at this point and let you experiment some more.

I think I've seen problems with compressed kernel images and QEMU before. I
will switch
to an uncompressed kernel and try again.

How did you compile the kernel that does not boot? What config have you used? I've tried to reproduce it by compiling a kernel with rts7751r2d1_defconfig and different compression methods but it did start and never got the problem seen with your kernel. Maybe it's the gcc version? My cross compiler is 8.4.0 and you seem to use 10.x. Maybe newer gcc uses something that's not emulated correctly? It would be interesting to identify what's causing the problem.

Regards,
BALATON Zoltan