qemu-devel

Re: Why we should avoid new submodules if possible

From: Michael S. Tsirkin
Subject: Re: Why we should avoid new submodules if possible
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2022 06:07:33 -0400

On Wed, Sep 28, 2022 at 10:57:47AM +0100, Daniel P. Berrangé wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 28, 2022 at 05:53:17AM -0400, Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:

> > > That's just one of the issues with submodules. Working with them in
> > > general
> > > is not a pleasant experiance.
> >
> > This is what I asked about at the maintainers summit.
> > I'd like to map the issues and see if there's anything
> > we can do to solve them. In particular we will likely
> > keep using submodules where we historically did
> > so it's time well spent.
> >
> > I agree generally but the big question is what to replace these with.
> > Below I assume the replacement is a script such as avocado or pytest
> > with its own hashing, calling wget internally etc etc.
> >

> > > Thomas pointed out some of the issues, such
> > > as 'git checkout' ignoring submodules, requiring extra steps to sync them.
> >

> > Not different from a home grown SCM as part of test script, right?
>
> We're not building a home grown SCM as part of a test script, so
> this answer is irrelevant.

If you are managing contents of files using code then you have
a content managing system :)

> > > There's also the perenial problem that developers frequently send
> > > patches that mistakenly include submodule changes,
> >
> > OK, so the thing to do would be to look for ways to exclude submodule
> > changes
> > from git commits.
>
> If someone wants to make git suck less with submodules great, but needs
> someone to actually do the work.

I have some experience with git, might be able to if I can figure out
what the issues are. Or maybe there's already a flag to do what we want
git is pretty configurable.

> > > I'd really like to see us doing more to eliminate as much use of
> > > submodules
> > > as is possible over time.
> >
> > Or try to fix the problems, right?
>
> Again needs someone to actually make it happen.
>
> Meanwhile  QEMU already has an integrated test harness in the form
> of Avocado that does everything needed. If Avocado had just been
> used for this biosbits test in the first place, the test would
> likely have already been merged to QEMU, instead of us having this
> never ending debate on how to re-invent an alternative to what
> already avocado does.
>
> With regards,
> Daniel

I just think there's a ton of difference between linux guest images
which we want to keep running indefinitely and a unit test firmware
which we want to version with qemu.