qemu-devel

Re: Conclusion of yet another expensive UI folly (was: [PULL 00/21] NBD

From: Eric Blake
Subject: Re: Conclusion of yet another expensive UI folly (was: [PULL 00/21] NBD and miscellaneous patches for 2023-06-01)
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2023 07:29:38 -0500

On Fri, Jun 02, 2023 at 08:32:34AM +0200, Markus Armbruster wrote:
> Pattern:
>
> First, one of us gets a bright idea on user-friendly interface (here:
> fractional sizes like 1.5M).  Objections, if any, get brushed aside.
>
> Then the thing sprouts warts, tentacles, sores, and starts to give off
> that sickly-sweet smell of bugs feasting on misguided ideas.
>
> Until one of us spends a lot more time on containing and reducing the
> damage than the thing could ever be worth.
>
> Cobbler, stick to your last.
>
> Thanks, Eric!

The scary part was that I found several other bugs completely
unrelated to the read-out-of-bounds, merely by increasing unit test
coverage.  When Hanna first pointed me to the problem asking if a
5-line patch would work, I was not expecting it to blow up into a
series touching more than 1000 lines (true, most of those lines were
in the unit tests).

--
Eric Blake, Principal Software Engineer
Red Hat, Inc.           +1-919-301-3266