qemu-ppc

Re: [Qemu-ppc] ATY 'NDRV'

From: Jd Lyons
Subject: Re: [Qemu-ppc] ATY 'NDRV'
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2019 08:35:08 -0400

Some observation that I’m not sure is useful:

OS X never maps the vram and is unable to load the graphics server in any mode
other than 8 bits color.

The last thing we see in a successful graphics boot in the system log before
the window server loads is:

ATY: vram [8100000:01000000]

or

QEMU,VGA: vram {81000000:01000000]

I also noted in qemu-system-i386 under Windows XP SP3 graphics mode was stuck
at 4 bit color and unable to change the screen resolution with our emulated
rage128. I also had to use a Rage128 vbios or XP couldn’t get to the desktop.
Sadly I was only able to find one Rage128 vbios to test, but I did test many
Rage128 drivers in XP.

That brings me around to the point of ‘NDRV’s, there are several for the
Rage128 GPU, we’ve only been testing the “Rage128Pd” as that is the one in the
FCode ROM we were trying to debug.

Two key points:

1. If our emulated Rage128 can not change screen resolutions or bit depth yet,
then there is not much point in loading ‘NDRV’s, as they are never going to
work.

2. There are quite a few Rage128 GPU’s and we need to narrow down which one we
are emulating to a specific revision. Otherwise we are shooting blind as to
which ‘NDRV’ to use.