qemu-ppc

Re: Cannot Access Memory

From: BALATON Zoltan
Subject: Re: Cannot Access Memory
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2021 15:34:50 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 5 Oct 2021, Fabiano Rosas wrote:
"Jesse Millwood" <jesse_dev@fastmail.com> writes:

Hello,

I am a bit new to PowerPC and the guts of QEMU. Long time user, first time
source diver. I am trying to boot up a uboot image provided by a vendor that
uses the e500 cores. The entry point to the U-boot elf seems to be in a region
where I can not access the memory.

I am invoking qemu 6.1 like so:
qemu-system-ppc -monitor stdio -M ppce500 -cpu e500v2 -smp 2 -m 4G -bios
./srcs/u-boot-vendor/u-boot -s -S

The entry point to the vendor elf is in a high address at 0xfff80000.
When I run it at first it doesn't print anything out. When I have it stopped
and investigate the memory with gdb I get a message that it cannot access
memory there:

What does 'info registers' say after it hangs? If it cannot access
memory I would expect it to raise an exception to QEMU quite
clearly. Not printing anything suggests it might be stuck in an
exception loop.

Running with at least -d unimp,guest_errors should be useful to show some logs in those cases. Maybe also add some more as needed, see -d help

Regards,
BALATON Zoltan