quilt-dev

Re: [Quilt-dev] [patch 26/26] Rewrite discussion of QUILT_COLORS configu

From: Jean Delvare
Subject: Re: [Quilt-dev] [patch 26/26] Rewrite discussion of QUILT_COLORS configuration variable.
Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2022 14:18:11 +0200

Hi Branden,

On Tue, 2 Oct 2018 03:34:22 -0400, G. Branden Robinson wrote:
> Thanks for your review of these patches; I think we had a good meeting
> of the minds.  Just needs that final push.

It's been a while, I know. As part of SUSE's Hack Week 21, I decided to
exhume this old patch series of yours which has been in the back of my
mind for the last 4 years. I could never get over the idea that all the
work we both put into it would go to waste.

The project's page is here:
https://hackweek.opensuse.org/21/projects/update-quilts-manual-page

What I've done so far:
* Rebase the whole series on top of the current version of quilt's
  manual page. There were lots of context changes due to additions and
  fixes that were made to the manual page over the last 4 years.
* Update individual patches to propagate the changes to the added
  paragraphs, so that the changes are consistent and complete for the
  current version of the manual page.

Now I'm reaching the next step of the process, which is to go through
my own review and apply the suggested corrections where applicable.
Unfortunately, I see that there were a lot of questions of mine which
were left unanswered. As I do not have your deep knowledge of the roff
language, macros and good practices, I don't feel good enforcing my
views. On the other hand, there are a few changes you proposed which
clearly did not make sense or were confusing, so it also does not feel
right to apply your patches without cleaning them up first.

Therefore, if you are still around, still have some interest in the
project, and have a few spare cycles you could allocate for this task,
I would really appreciate if you could go through the questions I asked
back then, and enlighten me.

Thanks in advance,
--
Jean Delvare