Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Bump major release version for rdiff-backup?

From: Otto Kekäläinen
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Bump major release version for rdiff-backup?
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2019 09:25:43 +0300

Hi!

ti 13. elok. 2019 klo 7.48 Eric Lavarde (address@hidden) kirjoitti:
> 2. I think it would be good to have everybody work with pull requests
> and protect master from direct changes. This is the way I learned
> guarantees the most quality and allow discussions before changes are
> actually made. It also makes sure that changes are serialized.

Agree. I planned to do my other contributions via PRs (and I have
already submitted one) and just thought to to a couple of small quick
changes to get the master branch in state that it is easy to develop
and test.

Related, I made a issue to create development guidelines/policy:
https://github.com/rdiff-backup/rdiff-backup/issues/57

> Could we agree to revert to 1.9.0 until we have a better agreed solution?

I didn't realize the version string is defined in many places outside
setup.py. I now reverted that change so we can do it again in a better
way.
I do however feel that 2.0.0 or 2.0.0~alpha is the way to go in what
comes to the actual string.

Next I will focus on the issues I've self-assigned:
https://github.com/rdiff-backup/rdiff-backup/issues/assigned/ottok
I also need to wait a few days for librsync2 to sync from Debian to
Ubuntu so that I can continue making the CI pipeline and testing PPAs
so that people on this mailing list can easily help out with testing.