Next steps for rdiff-backup

From: EricZolf
Subject: Next steps for rdiff-backup
Date: Sat, 6 May 2023 13:08:14 +0200

Hi,

after our recent discussions about the future of rdiff-backup, compatibility back and forth, etc, I had to think about this before taking a decision.

Two points were important to me:

1. as maintainer, get new participants to the code, I don't have a lot of time and I'm a liability if I'm the only one understanding the code. I want to be able to leave the project at any time with the good feeling of someone being able to take over.

2. as user, speed is my main issue with rdiff-backup, it could surely be faster (and I don't think anybody would complain either), else it does what I expect. And it is a principle of (non-commercial) open source that you're motivated as maintainer by what you need as user.

So, in order to reach these two targets, I must:

1. simplify and document the code properly
2. make the code more modular so that people can participate without having to understand the whole code (plugins architecture or similar)
3. even better understand the code to be able to optimize it
4. assuming parallelization and/or async I/O are on the path to better performance, it'll be a complexification of the code, which can only be successful if the code has been greatly simplified beforehand

Looking at these criteria and adding my own limited availability, I decided that:

1. the current 2.2 code will be maintained frozen, with only bug fixes and necessary adaptations, e.g. due to newer versions of Python. No change will be done if it isn't requested by an user or package maintainer through an issue. 2. I'll start to work on the 3.x version, doing whatever is necessary to reach my above objectives without considerations for backward API compatibility. I still plan to have continuously working versions with CI/CD pipeline etc, and it will be an evolution more than a revolution. There should be a tool to migrate old repositories to a potential new format, but it's not a promise (this said, I plan to keep similar concepts, so there shouldn't be any reason for not having such a tool).

I'm not yet 100% decided but I think 2.x will become a branch and the 3.x development will simply happen on the master branch, where most activity will be visible (not that people and/or statistiscs start to think that rdiff-backup is dead or so). I also have the idea to have weekly releases so that people can more simply try new features.

If someone wants to volunteer to maintain the 2.x branch, I'd be more than happy to help him/her onboard on this important task. I don't want to put pressure on myself or anybody, but it probably would be an endeavor for 2-3 years based on my past speed.

Feel free to comment, but my decision is pretty much taken, for the reasons listed above.

KR, Eric