remotecommunication

New Jitsi Meet server for FSF associate members

From: Greg Farough
Subject: New Jitsi Meet server for FSF associate members
Date: Thu, 28 May 2020 18:12:38 -0400

Hi, remotecommunication list!

If you're subscribed to the FSF's emails, you may have seen that we've
launched a freedom-respecting Jitsi instance for all of our associate
members. It's a membership benefit that we've been working on for some
time, and we're thrilled to be able to finally announce it to everyone
and see it up and running. We've been mentioning Jitsi for some time,
but until now could not recommend a server that did not recommend
proprietary software or serve proprietary JavaScript. We're happy to
say that we've closed that gap now!

This initiative grew out of our efforts to free remote communication
tools, particularly as people become so increasingly dependent upon
them. If you're able, we would appreciate any help you can give in
spreading the word. Putting my FSF staff hat aside for the moment, I'm
definitely excited about it just from a software freedom activist
perspective.

If you're a member, I sincerely hope it will be of use to you in
communicating with the people you care about while not compromising
your freedom.

<https://www.fsf.org/blogs/community/fsf-gives-freedom-respecting-videoconferencing-to-all-associate-members>

Best,
-Greg