repo-criteria-discuss

Re: On Gitlab's Javascript code

From: Thomas Levine
Subject: Re: On Gitlab's Javascript code
Date: Sun, 08 Nov 2020 12:38:10 +0000

I agree with your comments related to the possibility that
it is difficult to determine whether an entire website's source
code is freely licensed to the person looking at it. Even AGPL
would not demonstrate this, since the management of the website
may own further rights to the software.

I disagree about this being particular to the web, as I think this is
the case for any computing done on other people's computers.
For example, I access many softwares by SSH, and these have the same
issues that you describe as the web. When I log in by SSH and type
"tar" at the terminal, I may be running the same program that I could
have built myself, but it would be impractical for me to check that
every time.

Cordially,
Thomas