repo-criteria-discuss

salsa.debian.org Gitlab instance review?

From: Simon Josefsson
Subject: salsa.debian.org Gitlab instance review?
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2020 22:14:15 +0100

Hi!  Has anyone reviewed salsa.debian.org's Gitlab instance?  Is it
better than gitlab.com?  I believe Salsa isn't Debian-specific but
allows any free software project to be hosted there.  The concerns about
gitlab.com stated on [1] are:

  All JavaScript code served to the client is free, but does not work
  with LibreJS enabled. (B0)

  Encourages bad licensing practice, including no license; failure to
  state the license on each source file; and failure to say which GPL
  versions apply. (B2)

Both are things that I would guess the salsa.debian.org people are more
inclined to fix if somebody helped them, if they actually apply to
Salsa.  I doubt the second one is true for salsa.debian.org, Debian has
policies about clear licensing.  In what way does Gitlab.com fail to
meet that requirement, btw?

/Simon

[1] https://www.gnu.org/software/repo-criteria-evaluation.html