repo-criteria-discuss

GitLab nonfree JS code

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: GitLab nonfree JS code
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 2021 00:42:20 -0500

[I sent this message a few weeks ago but did not get a response.
I think this issue is very important.  We should stop praising GitLab
if it has done this]

I've read that GitLab now requires nonfree software both to make an
account (recaptcha) and to do various operations once you have an
account.  I'm told that gitlab.torproject.org makes it impossible to
communicate with the developers from the free world.

Thos needs to be tested, but assuming it is true, we need to downgrade
our evaluation of GitLab ASAP.  For our evaluation to be incorrect in
such an important way is an embarrassment as well as steering people
wrong.

I suggest making an announcement about GitLab's change for the worse.
The announcement could also say that GitHub is no better tham it was.

It would be nice to evaluate another site, if there is one that is better.