repo-criteria-discuss

Re: You rate savannah.gnu.org at A? AYFKM?

From: Pau Amma
Subject: Re: You rate savannah.gnu.org at A? AYFKM?
Date: Fri, 04 Mar 2022 06:10:19 +0000

On 2022-03-01 04:24, Richard Stallman wrote:
  > Free software existed long before the FSF

That's right.  I used free programs and developed some, in the 1970s.
When I talk about the history of our community, that's what I start with.
See https://gnu.org/gnu/the-gnu-project.html.

That was free software, but it wasn't the free software movement.

It definitely included thriving, organized, collaborative efforts supporting complex software ecosystems. Those definitely qualify as movements. I believe I mentioned SHARE. See https://www.share.org/About/About-Us/History and note:
- in the 1960s: the Share Operating system and its compiler and debugger
- in the 1970s: "enhancements of the computer for every user in the installation whether they be system programmers, application programmers, computer operators, or non-programmers is today's reality."

                                              and
> there were philosophical underpinnings to it before you developed your
  > own version.

People who worked on free software had various thoughts about it.
But they didn't think of it as a movement aiming for a moral goal.

Do you have any evidence of that? Specifically, that they didn't have clearly articulated goals aiming at furthering what they saw as the common good and behaved consistently with achieving these goals?

Incidentally, a more neutral and less emotionally charged word than "moral goal" like "principled stance" doesn't fit the situation of both those and the FSF? "Moral" has the additional baggage that principles underpinning it are good, and therefore other sets of organizing and operating principle, equally valid and equally conducive to worthy results useful to the community, aren't as good as your own, because you chose not to bestow the qualifier "moral" on them.

For more on that topic, see https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/moral-motivation/, https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/intuitionism-ethics/, https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/morality-definition/, https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/moral-responsibility/, and https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/grounds-moral-status/.

That's what I started.

That's what you you call what you claim you started. But:
- Whether you started anything, as opposed to forking an existing movement then pretending it didn't exist before you is, looking at it charitably, dubious. - You calling it that doesn't make it so absent a priori or a posteriori grounding in consensual reality: that is, did enough people agree, before you settled on that name, that it fitted the concept, or failing that, did people observing your attempted embodiment of that concept think it was plausibly one and do they still think so now? (That last part is critically important.)

That's what I call the free software _movement_.

I will keep in mind that you map that noun phrase to an alleged concept and rely on that deictic in interpreting future statements you make, should there be any.

You cited some correct facts, but you falsely accused me of denying
them.

I stated my belief that your observed behavior is inconsistent with acceptance of them. If you claim some of my statements went beyond that, feel free to specify which statements and what grounds you have to believe your claim about them is correct.

You've stated opinions on some other points, To have a thoughtful
discussion about them, people need to be willing to listen to others'
arguments and consider them.  I'd consider your points, and present
why I disagree, if you were willing to consider mine -- but you're
not.

At a potluck buffet, someone may be willing to taste the potato salad despite not liking mayonnaise or pickles, and evaluate that specific potato salad on its own overall merits, but may at the same time, entirely reasonably, refuse to take a bite from a shit sandwich and instead toss it into the nearest garbage can without getting agreement from anyone, let alone from whoever brought it. In much the same way, I'm not obliged to give any consideration to arguments I see as fatally flawed or hypocritical beyond the barest minimum needed to list their fatal flaws or point out the hypocrisy in them.

--
#StandWithUkrainians
English: he/him/his (singular they/them/their/theirs OK)