repo-criteria-discuss

Re: You rate savannah.gnu.org at A? AYFKM?

From: Pau Amma
Subject: Re: You rate savannah.gnu.org at A? AYFKM?
Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2022 14:17:03 +0000

On 2022-03-05 05:36, Richard Stallman wrote:

  > It definitely included thriving, organized, collaborative efforts
  > supporting complex software ecosystems. Those definitely qualify as
  > movements.

We are persistently miscommunicating.
They are not movements as I understand the word.
You're using a much looser definition of "movement".

Then your understanding contradicts 2 major dictionaries of American English: - Merriam-Webster (https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/movement senses 2a and 2b), and see in https://www.merriam-webster.com/help/explanatory-notes/dict-definitions, "The sense divider also is used to introduce a meaning that is closely related to but may be considered less important than the preceding sense") - American Heritage Dictionary (https://www.ahdictionary.com/word/search.html?q=movement sense 3a and 3b, and see in https://www.ahdictionary.com/word/howtouse.html under Order of Senses, "Entries containing more than one sense are arranged for the convenience of the reader with the central and often the most commonly sought meaning first.")

I'm using MW sense 2a and AHD sense 3a, which are more central, as the dictionaries themselves explain, than the ones you insist on. This very much sounds like a "you" problem.

The free software movement is a campaign for a moral goal:

No. As long as you consider it acceptable to throw some people under the bus, as long as you call not doing that a "feature", your goal, whatever else it may be, is *not* moral and will never be, repeated claims to the contrary notwithstanding. I provided you with several links about morals and morality in my previous email. I suggest you read them before using that word again.

to end an injustice.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere" (Martin Luther King). Since you consider acceptable to perpetuate an injustice (and arguably reinforce it, by giving it another stronghold), your approach is flawed to the core, and you're defending the indefensible.

Compare with the civil rights movement,
the environmental movement, etc.

Or the disability rights movement, perhaps? I'm grimly unsurprised that you didn't mention that example despite me being right there in your inbox, advocating for those.

> Do you have any evidence of that? Specifically, that they didn't have > clearly articulated goals aiming at furthering what they saw as the
  >  common good and behaved consistently with achieving these goals?

I think this is another misunderstanding.

Maybe SHARE did have goals of that sort.  I never said it didn't.
That's not the distinction I was making.

What I mean by a "moral goal" is something stronger than that.

"You keep using that word, moral, but it doesn't mean what you think it does."

It
means a goal of fighting to end wronds, of ending some sort of harmful
practice.  A moral goal is one formulated in moral terms.

Then, since you happily ignore and perpetuate one wrong while claiming to fight to end another, you're not fighting to end wrongs, plural. That would mean your own goal is not a moral one.

There are goals that are good but not matters of right vs wrong.  For
instance, a school educates people, and that is good to do.
But educating people is not a matter of eliminating a wrong.
Ignorance is a lack, not a wrong.

Ignorance that can and does harm others, as the FSF's(*) does, is very much a wrong, to be corrected whenever possible.

The free software movement is a campaign against the injustice of
software that gives certain people power over the users.  That goal is
a matter of good vs evil -- a moral goal.

Yes, software (like websites) that gives certain people, like the FSF, power over the users, by letting it selectively deny access to some of us (aka, people with disabilities), is indeed a matter of good vs. evil. You're mistaken, though, if you believe you're on the side of good in that. You're on the side of vile, contemptible evil, and your claim to stand for all users makes you hypocritical as well, as I've mentioned before.

  > Incidentally, a more neutral and less emotionally charged word
  > than "moral goal" like "principled stance" doesn't fit the
  > situation of both those and the FSF?

I never had anything to do with SHARE.  Did SHARE have a principled
stance?  If so, what was it?

Have you read the URL I pointed you to earlier?

However, not every principled stance is a moral goal.

"We will not do nasty practice X" is a principled stance, but not a moral
goal.

So what does that make "we're perfectly happy doing nasty practice X", where X is discriminating against people with disabilities? An unprincipled stance?

"We will set an example of not doing nasty practice X" starts to adopt
a moral goal.

So why don't you try doing that? You could start with hypocrisy, then move on to lip service.

"We will put an end to the nasty practice X" is a real moral goal.

Thanks for acknowledging that my goal in hammering you is a real moral one.

I explain this in the hope you may understand better what I have said.

Oh, I understood it from the beginning. Being constantly exposed to and reminded of ableist discourse makes people with disabilities and disability activists experts in understanding readily not just the surface meaning put up for public consumption by temporarily abled people, but the quiet parts usually left unsaid. I still appreciate your doubling down on it and saying the quiet part out loud, as that should make it crystal clear to any others reading this now or who may come across it in the future.

(*) I haven't heard from others in the FSF on this topic, so I will assume good faith ignorance on their part unless and until proven otherwise. So far, though, your own statements all point to bad faith on your part.

--
#StandWithUkrainians
English: he/him/his (singular they/them/their/theirs OK)