reproduce-devel

[bug #58690] libX11 not building on macOS with GCC and clang

From: Mohammad Akhlaghi
Subject: [bug #58690] libX11 not building on macOS with GCC and clang
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 2020 18:47:54 -0400 (EDT)

                 Privacy: Public
             Assigned to: makhlaghi
             Open/Closed: Open
         Discussion Lock: Any

Details:

Mahdieh Nabavi reported this problem: on her macOS she has both GCC (and its
accompanying tools like the GNU C Pre-Processor, or 'cpp') and clang. But
after a clean build of Maneage, she reported the libX11 is crashing during the
configuration as shown at the bottom of this bug report.

The problem is clearly in 'cpp': it can't link with some low-level macOS
library! Generally, even on systems that have GCC, GCC's tools don't build
completely and we have already had to avoid many such problems in the
high-level programs (where we explicitly set 'export CC=clang' on macOS
systems).

As a test, we removed the symbolic link in her build directory and noticed
that the problem was fixed! Since we have already been annoyed a lot by such
such macOS systems with both GCC and clang, I figured it may be best to simply
ignore their GCC (including 'cpp') overall in the high-level builds.

I have implemented the change in Commit a09b24a235
<https://gitlab.com/maneage/project-dev/-/commit/a09b24a235> of the
'mac-no-gcc <https://gitlab.com/maneage/project-dev/-/tree/mac-no-gcc>' branch
of the development branch. I tested a full build on my GNU/Linux system (using
'--host-cc' and '--all-highlevel') and everything built fine on this branch. I
have also asked Mahdieh to test it on her computer and once she confirms,
we'll merge it into the core branch.

Raul, if you get the chance to try it out on your macOS too, it would be
great! Just in case I have unintentionally introduced a bug for systems that
don't have this problem...

checking if clang supports -Werror... yes
checking if clang supports -Werror=attributes... yes
checking whether make supports nested variables... (cached) yes
checking whether to build functional specifications... yes
checking for xmlto... no
configure: WARNING: xmlto not found - documentation targets will be skipped
checking for xsltproc... no
configure: WARNING: xsltproc not found - cannot transform XML documents
checking for X.Org SGML entities >= 1.10... no
checking for cpp... /BDIR/software/installed/bin/cpp
checking if /BDIR/software/installed/bin/cpp requires -undef... dyld: Symbol
not found: ___keymgr_global
  Referenced from: /BDIR/software/installed/bin/cpp
  Expected in: /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib

dyld: Symbol not found: ___keymgr_global
  Referenced from: /BDIR/software/installed/bin/cpp
  Expected in: /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib

dyld: Symbol not found: ___keymgr_global
  Referenced from: /BDIR/software/installed/bin/cpp
  Expected in: /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib

configure: error: /BDIR/software/installed/bin/cpp defines unix with or
without -undef.  I don't know what to do.
make: *** [reproduce/software/make/xorg.mk:147:
/BDIR/software/installed/version-info/proglib/libx11-1.6.9] Error 1
make: Target 'all' not remade because of errors.

  <https://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?58690>

  Message sent via Savannah
  https://savannah.nongnu.org/