reproduce-devel

[bug #65677] Conflicting /bin/sh causes crash in high-level sofware

From: Mohammad Akhlaghi
Subject: [bug #65677] Conflicting /bin/sh causes crash in high-level sofware
Date: Fri, 3 May 2024 07:19:11 -0400 (EDT)

                 Privacy: Public
             Assigned to: makhlaghi
             Open/Closed: Open
         Discussion Lock: Any

Follow-up Comments:

Date: Fri 03 May 2024 01:19:10 PM CEST By: Mohammad Akhlaghi <makhlaghi>
Until now, Maneage had a major undetected leak: all low-level software default
to '/bin/sh' (which is hard-coded in their sources!). So far this was not
noticed because the Maneage shell and the '/bin/sh' of the operating systems
we had tested on were compatible. But after trying to re-build a Maneage'd
project with 2021 software on a computer with 2024 software, '/bin/sh' (and
thus Maneage) crashed!

This lead me into a deep rabbit hole which initially looked bottom-less, but
fortunately I finally reached the bottom and was able to fully build that
Maneage'd project on that system :-).

The 'no-bin-sh' branch of https://gitlab.com/maneage/project-dev now has the
fixes (in particular see
[https://gitlab.com/maneage/project-dev/-/commit/847aa3bbf8d Commit
847aa3bbf8d] for all the changes so far in one commit; see the commit
description and comments in the newly added script for more details on the
problem and how it was solved).

I will hopefully be merging this into the main 'maneage' branch in a couple of
weeks (along with all the other remaining commits to be merged). In case you
have time, it would be good if you can check this build on your operating
systems and/or share feedback about this problem/solution.

  <https://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?65677>

Message sent via Savannah
https://savannah.nongnu.org/