reproduce-devel

[bug #65677] Conflicting /bin/sh causes crash in high-level sofware

From: Mohammad Akhlaghi
Subject: [bug #65677] Conflicting /bin/sh causes crash in high-level sofware
Date: Fri, 3 May 2024 07:49:44 -0400 (EDT)

Follow-up Comment #1, bug #65677 (group reproduce):

Some extra comments:
* As mentioned before, I will only actively develop software that are used in
the default branch of Maneage (with Gnuastro as the only high-level software).
So it would be good if you can check this commit after adding the other
software that you commonly build/use.
* For the edit in Python's source, I fixed it by adding '/usr/lib' to
'LD_LIBRARY_PATH' (also see P.S.). I wonder if this is generic or not? In
other words, do all '/bin/sh's link with libraries in '/usr/lib'? I am
thinking of adding a check in 'reproduce/software/shell/configure.sh' to read
the libraries that '/bin/sh' links to, find their locations and keep them in a
variable that is passed to high-level.mk for such cases. For this, I will need
help for macOS systems. Raul, can you send me the command to do this on your
macOS? The current thing I have in mind on GNU based operating systems is this
command. On macOS, probably only the first two 'ldd' and 'awk' need to be
modified.

$ ldd /bin/sh \
      | awk '{if($3!="") print $3}' \
      | sed 's#/[^/]*$##' \
      | sort \
      | uniq \
      | awk '{printf "%s:", $1}END{printf "\b"}'

P.S. On the second point: Unfortunately until we build the C library within
Maneage, we cannot remove this dependency because Python's 'setup.py' uses
'os.system', which uses C's 'system()' function which will always use
'/bin/sh' until we build it ourselves and correct this.

  <https://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?65677>

Message sent via Savannah
https://savannah.nongnu.org/